How Long Will a Quality Pizza Delivery Bag Last?
If your busy pizzeria offers delivery service, durable, long-lasting pizza delivery bags are essential. Quality bags keep pizza and other food hot, fresh and delicious all the way to the customer’s doorstep, ensuring a tasty, satisfying experience, every time.
Something as utilitarian as a pizza delivery bag is a major investment—it’s a key piece of equipment every pizza delivery service relies on. Most pizzerias use their delivery bags for years. Others see their bags fall apart after just a few months. It begs the question: how long should a pizza delivery bag last?
Let’s take a look at the mileage you can expect to see from a well-made delivery bag—and how you can get the most from yours.
Delivery volume will determine lifespan
How busy is your pizza shop? The answer to that question is critical when it comes to determining pizza bag delivery lifespan. When you invest in a pizza delivery bag, you need to set clear expectations for how long it should last based on how often you’ll use it.
Think about how many deliveries you and your crew make each week, month and year. If you’ve got dozens and dozens of pies going out the door daily, expect your delivery bags to have a shorter lifespan than pizzerias with only a handful of delivery calls each day.
While it’s impossible to put a real number on how many deliveries a bag will feasibly make over its lifespan, it’s important to remember that every box that slides into and out of the bag takes its toll. The more you use it, the more wear and tear it’ll see.
Quality materials make all the difference
When it comes to pizza delivery bags, you get what you pay for. A bag with cheap materials wears down quickly and falls apart, while one with premium materials will stand up to heavy wear and tear—and last longer as a result.
If you’re proud of the product you’re serving—and want to ensure the best experience for your hungry customers—invest in a bag with premium features. Some of the best include:
- Removable, easy-to-clean liners. Delivering pizzas is a messy business, no matter how careful you are. Look for pizza delivery bags with removable liners. They’re easy to clean, which means stains and spills won’t stick around to deteriorate your bag.
- Double-stitched seams. Bags that feature superior construction, like double-stitched seams, inherently last longer. This reinforced stitching provides incredible durability and will stand up to the persistent wear and tear that comes with constant bag handling.
- Two-way zippers. Bags with two-way zippers provide smooth access to the product inside. They not only make the driver’s job easier; they also reduce the risk of spillage as they’re grabbing food from the bag.
- Hardboard dividers. Does your pizzeria serve a variety of items? Bags with hardboard dividers offer greater flexibility, allowing you to keep hot and cold food separate in the same bag. They also protect the food, preventing it from being crushed in transit.
How you care for your bag matters
What many busy pizzerias don’t realize is that there’s one surefire way to make sure you’re getting the most out of your pizza bag. A little maintenance goes a long way, and can put weeks and months of life back into your investment. Here’s how to properly take care of a pizza bag:
- Clean the exterior every day. Pizza bags get dirty and grimy, since they contact plenty of surfaces as they’re used. Wipe down the bag daily to remove any debris or foreign substances, before they can deteriorate the bag’s materials. A damp cloth will suffice.
- Deep clean every week. The inside of every pizza bag gets dirty, too, since it comes in direct contact with the food being delivered. Give the inside of your bags a good scrub with soap and water to remove grease, crumbs and other debris. You could also give the inside a wipe-down with vinegar to eliminate persistent odors.
- Repair when needed. While high-quality pizza delivery bags are made to last, they’re not impervious to damage. Make minor repairs like patches or stitching up seams to make sure your bags are ready for action. Keep an eye on minor damages and retire your bag when they become persistent. The last thing you want is a failed delivery!
Pizza delivery bag mileage will vary
How long will your pizza delivery bag last? It all depends on your individual situation. While one pizzeria may get years of use from a bag, another may be lucky to get a single year. The lifespan of a well-made bag used for busy delivery volume is between 12-18 months. However, with a little care and TLC, it’s not uncommon for a good delivery bag to net you 24+ months of reliable use.
Investing in quality materials and maintaining the bag can push those numbers even higher, helping you get the most bang for your buck from your bags while you feed and delight customers.